Are you thinking about longboarding for the first time but don’t know where to start? Beginners, in particular, may have difficulty in choosing the best longboard from all those popular brands. Don’t worry, you are exactly in the right place. We have done a latest market research for you and included the nine best longboards for beginners, so that you can invest your hard earned money in a good longboard that serves your purpose. Without any further delay let’s check them out:
1. Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard Complete Cruiser
The Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard Complete Cruiser is a perfect longboard for beginners. The deck has super flex and shock-absorbing capability. The size of the board is compatible with almost any rider you can think of. Its aluminum trucks, PU wheels, and precision bearings make the whole package a solid one.
- Universal Size: Size is a crucial factor to checkout before buying a longboard. Often beginners fail to choose the right size because they lack proper knowledge regarding longboards. With the Volador cruiser, you won’t face any issues regarding the size. The 42-inch board offers a decent ride from kids to adults.
- Deck: The Volador longboard comes with a user-friendly deck. It has a perfect symmetrical shape that enhances the grip of the deck. The given grip tape does its job pretty well. Coming to the width, the deck is 9 inches wide. Even if you have large feet, the 34-Inch wheelbase deck can accommodate you with ease.
- Trucks: Volador longboards are well known for their high-quality trucks. Like all of them, Volador cruiser is also the same. It contains 7-inch aluminum trucks that assure you of satisfying performance. Coming to the design, it has reverse-kingpin construction. You can adjust it from 45 to 50 degrees. Last but not least, thanks to the carbon steel bolts, the trucks are super sturdy.
- Bearings: In terms of bearings, Volador did not make any compromise as well. They added ABEC-9 bearings to the longboard. These are the highest-rated bearings that are famous for their smoothness and speed. Another big plus of these items is the superior performance even under heavyweight.
- Environment Friendly: One of the special feature of Volador longboards is that they are designed with the materials that is environment friendly. A ride with environment friendly longboard that is made of sustainable wood, methanal-free epoxy glue, and recycled materials definitely brings more joy to the sports.
- Comes with a solid rock maple deck
- Powered by ABEC-9 precision bearings
- Offers flex as well as shock-absorbing capability
- Comes with vibrant colors and designs
- Environment Friendly
- Super Speed Racer for professional long boarders
- The trucks are a bit loose that they make the board turn unusually.
2. Quest QT-NSC44C the Super Cruiser
Most of the people are fond of bamboo longboards because of their flexibility. The Quest QT-NSC44C Super Cruiser Longboard is an amazing longboard that those people simply can’t ignore. Along with the bamboo build, you will have aluminum trucks and ABEC-7 bearings with the item. Moreover, the 44-inch longboard has enough space to let you suit yourself on the deck comfortably.
- Super Lightweight: As a beginner, you should check out more lightweight longboards. They tend to require less effort to ride smoothly compared to heavyweight ones. The Quest QT is one of the finest lightweight boards weighing 7.6 pounds. Anyone can ride it comfortably with minimum effort. Another special fact is that, it is easily portable!
- Sturdy Construction: If you are planning to buy a long lasting longboard, the Quest cruiser will be an ideal choice. The board is made of 7-ply bamboo (super-flex) and hardwood maple. These materials are guaranteed to last a long time. You can practice and pull off some of the hardest tricks using the board.
- Famous Rugged AluminumTrucks: The longboard features the market-famous rugged aluminum trucks. These are 7 inches in size, which is certainly the most preferable for a beginner. Thanks to the reactive reverse kingpin, you will get exactly the stability a beginner needs. However, the trucks’ responsiveness is not compromised by the stability.
- Polyurethane Wheels: Since it comes with ABEC-7 bearings, the ride is quite fast. To deal the road bumps at a decent speed this speed racer comes with polyurethane wheels. As they absorb road bumps, you will have a comfortable riding experience.
- Offers bamboo build at a reasonable price
- Comes in a size of 44 inches that is suitable for most long boarders
- Ensures smooth experience with the polyurethane wheels
- Very forgiving to beginners
- Environment Friendly
- The bolts on the wheels are a bit tightened.
3. Retrospec Zed Longboard Pintail Bamboo Longboard
Pintail-shaped longboards are a decent choice for people who want to get into the longboarding world. One of the best pintail longboards is the Retrospec Zed Longboard Pintail Bamboo Longboard. The board has top-notch wells that prevent wheel bites. With ABEC-7 bearings, the longboard has got incredible running accuracy. Let’s know more about this product.
- Solid Build – Original Bamboo Longboard : Most manufacturers use 7-ply maple wood in their longboards. It’s a good idea but what do you think would be better? It is the 8-ply maple wood that is used in the Retrospec Zed longboard. The wood and exclusive handcrafting make the product a durable one. It also has the rider’s favorite bamboo deck that is known for sturdiness as well as flexibility. So if you are looking for a durable original bamboo longboard Retrospec Zed Longboard Pintail Bamboo Longboard can be an ideal option for you.
- Wheel wells: You get 70x51mm 85A PU wheels with the Retrospec Zed longboard. The special addition to these wheels is wells that eliminate grab. Hence, there won’t be any wheel bite, unlike many other longboards. Furthermore, a ride is more stable and controllable due to wheel wells that makes them perfect longboard for middle aged people who haven’t enjoyed their youth with a longboard!
- Cute pintail Shape: The board has a pintail shape but with a higher length and width. The broader width and length are helpful for users to stand on the board comfortably. Since the shape is pintail, you can ride the longboard against the wind with minimum effort. It also gives a firm grip.
- Bearings: There are many people who are not a fan of super-fast speed and all that. Some people just want a balanced ride. This longboard certainly fills that criterion. The ABEC-7 bearings provide a more balanced experience than the ABEC-9 ones. ABEC-9 bearings that are not adequately optimized can be extremely fast, not recommended for new riders.
- Features ABEC-7 bearings that have great accuracy
- Made of 8-ply Canadian maple
- Has shock-absorbent wheels
- Able to carry around 220 pounds of weight
- Comes with great fresh art and new technology
- It’s not a suitable board for learning tricks.
4.Minority Downhill Maple Longboard
Desperately thinking to start skateboarding but do not have a big budget to buy a longboard? Have a look at the Minority Downhill Maple Longboard. It is a budget-friendly longboard featuring a maple deck, aluminum trucks, and PU wheels. Even more surprising is that the affordable board boasts ABEC-9 bearings. What else you can ask for?
- Comfortable Downhill Ride: If you plan to ride downhills after buying a longboard, you must consider the Minority longboard. It is one of the rarest boards on the market, having low gravity construction. This rare feature allows you to control the board properly at any speed, even while riding downhills.
- Proven Durability: The Minority longboard is a decent choice for the people who prefer durability above everything. The 8-ply cold-pressed maple of the board makes sure it lasts forever. Along with durability, maple wood has various other benefits, such as easy and quick cleaning.
- 7-inch reverse kingpin Trucks: The longboard is powered by 7-inch reverse kingpin trucks. The angle can be set at 45 or 50 degrees, depending on what you need. Reverse kingpin is well known for its stability, one of the most sought features in a longboard for beginners.
- Smooth Ride: People who want to enjoy smooth, as well as fast rides, should buy the Minority longboard. The reason why it is smooth is the bearings. There is no smoother bearing than ABEC-9 bearings. These items paired with the PU wheels promise to give you the optimal riding experience.
- Suitable for kids too since the size is 40 inches
- Has 78A PU wheels
- Offers more than ten design patterns
- Provides ample space with the 10 inches deck
- There is a little wobbling in the wheels.
5. Atom Drop through Longboard
Cannot decide whether you like maple or bamboo? Well, here comes a hybrid longboard named Atom Drop through Longboard! These two materials provide you with one of the strongest long boards available today. Talking about more features, the wheels are backed by ABEC-9 bearings. They are pre-lubricated with high-speed lubricant. Atom offers three beautiful designs for the longboard.
- Durable Deck: The deck is constructed from full maple laminate. It is one of the best materials for a longboard deck. Some roads have consistent bumps. You can ride the board there as a few bumps won’t be able to damage the deck. Moreover, it is quite long and wide to accommodate the rider comfortably.
- Stable Ride: It is a drop-through board. Boards like this are stable in any riding environment, especially downhill. Unlike the conventional longboards, the hardware is placed on top of the board in drop-through ones. It is precisely the reason why they provide the finest stability.
- Excellent Maneuverability: Maneuverability is something that a beginner requires, even if he doesn’t understand the importance of it. The Atom board indeed ticks the mark, thanks to ultra-low rolling resistance wheels and 242mm axles. While riding downhill or just simply cruising, you can maneuver the longboard in any way you want.
- Great for both Beginners and Experts: The longboard is ideal for beginners considering its features, especially the stability. However, it doesn’t mean more experienced riders won’t enjoy it. With the drop-through design, ABEC-9 bearings, high-quality wheels, and deck, the board is definitely a complete package for intermediate or advanced riders.
- Ensures durability along with flexibility with maple-bamboo hybrid laminate
- Prevents wheel biting
- Great for beginners because the board is more on the stiff side
- Holds the speed way better than its competitors
- The bushings may be too stiff for some people.
6. Atom Pin-Tail Longboard
Atom has been making some top-quality longboards for a while. Their newest addition to the lineup is the Atom Pin-Tail Longboard. It has large 8.5 inches trucks and ABEC-5 bearings. These components play a vital role in bringing adequate stability to the board. Furthermore, the deck has a classic shape that prevents wheel biting.
- Pintail Shape: The pintail shape of the board allows the wheelbase to be longer than usual. As a result, these boards are the most stable ones on the market. For learning to push a board or cruise it, pintail shape boards are a suitable choice. Hence, beginners tend to rely on these longboards more than others.
- Grip Tape for Firm grip: The board features grip tape that covers the complete upper deck area. Beginners should expect to make several mistakes. However, something as dangerous as falling off the longboard is not surely what you want. This is where the grip tape shines. It lets you stand on the board with a firm grip.
- ABEC-5Bearings and Wheels: While the ride doesn’t have the finest bearings, ABEC-5 is not bad either. And if we are talking about beginner longboards, these bearings should be enough. They give the board a reasonable amount of speed and smoothness. On the other hand, the 78A urethane wheels are decent too.
- 8.5 inches Trucks: The board comes with 8.5 inches trucks which is a great feature, particularly for newbie riders. Due to the larger trucks, they get a more stable longboard. Keep in mind that large trucks cause the product to be heavy. The trucks are aluminum made which means you won’t have any concern regarding their durability.
- Features an excellent full-length grip tape
- Great for kids considering it is 39 inches
- Doesn’t have the common wheel bite issue
- Does not wobble much during high speed
- Comes in a pintail shape
- The components aren’t quite up to date. You may feel the need to upgrade them pretty soon.
7. White Wave Bamboo Longboard
Any list of longboards is not complete without having bamboo longboards. So here is another high-quality bamboo-made long board called White Wave Bamboo Longboard. Along with bamboo, it also has multiple maple layers. The bamboo is there to ensure flexibility, whereas maple gives the board longevity.
- Solid Construction: Longboards are not something that you buy every month. Therefore you should look for a product that ensures longevity. The White Wave longboard has multiple layers of bamboo and maple. These materials are two of the most durable ones that are used to build longboards. Thus, the board can withstand heavy impacts with ease.
- Hooligan Wheels: As for the wheels, the board features urethane wheels. However, they are exclusively customized by the manufacturer. They contain oversized ribbed cores that promise to deliver the smoothest ride. These urethane wheels are also durable, so you won’t have to worry about them breaking down.
- Comfy Ride: The item has everything that assures you a comfortable and smooth ride. It is backed by aluminum trucks that are 7 inches. It also has high rebound bushings which is a big plus. Moreover, the ABEC-9 bearings ensure the most comfort in a longboard.
- Features eye-catchy heat pressed graphics on the deck
- Has durable construction along with flex
- Includes built-in spacers in the bearings
- Comes with a grade 8 kingpin and hangers
- The longboard won’t impress you if you focus primarily on speed.
8. Playshion Drop through Freestyle Longboard
If you are more into freestyle and freeride, an excellent choice of longboard will be the Playshion Drop through Freestyle Longboard. With eight plies of maple, the board also has flexibility and is suitable for freestyle riding. You will also feel buttery smoothness during rides, thanks to ABEC-9 Bearings and 70x51mm PU wheels.
- Aluminum-made Trucks: The trucks that you get with the longboard are aluminum-made. Despite the solid material, they are not heavyweight at all. They have soft bushings that help novice riders to maneuver the board easily. Reverse kingpin is also there on the trucks, which you can adjust for better stability.
- Smoothest ABEC-9 Bearings: Buyers will get the highest rated ABEC bearings which are named ABEC-9. They are the most precise and smooth bearings that you can find on longboards. ABEC-9 bearings are quite hard, but fortunately, they do not produce noise. They also feature nylon ball cages. As a result, you won’t notice friction while the bearings are rotating.
- Robust Build: Its build quality is one of the most attractive sides of the longboard. The material used for constructing the board is eight ply flex hardwood maple. It is solid but also has the necessary flex to it. Due to the strong build, the ride is capable of carrying more than 250 pounds of weight.
- Impressive Design: The Playshion longboard indeed packs a lot of impressive features in the board. The design is another aspect to which you should pay attention. It offers various colors and design patterns such as coconut tree, blue tear, peace, black, purple, etc.
- Perfect choice for beginners as it is a drop-through longboard
- Has 250 pounds of weight capacity
- Features ABEC-9 bearings
- Suitable for adults and kids
- Vibrant color option
- It needs a bit of tweaking for the optimal performance.
9. Yocaher Blank/Checker Complete Drop down Longboard
We’ve selected one of the toughest longboards on the market, and that is the Yocaher Blank/Checker Complete Drop Down Longboard. It is made of 9-ply maple that will serve you for a long time. The deck is backed by 80A black grip tape. This product delivers grip to any type of longboarded. Check out more exciting features below.
- Made to Last Longer: Maple is undoubtedly the most durable material for longboards. We usually see 7-ply maple, rarely 8-ply. How about the 9-ply maple? Well, that is what you get with the Yocaher longboard. The deck is incredibly durable and features a comfortable shape for beginners.
- ABEC-7Bearings: Properly optimized bearings are better than having high ratings. The board boasts ABEC-7 chrome bearings perfectly suitable for beginners. They are optimized to pick up and maintain speed very well. As the longboard suits beginners more, these bearings are more than enough.
- The 70mm Wheels for rough road: The wheels come with 78A hardness. Due to the hardness, you get the same elasticity in these wheels, similar to the rubber ones. As a result, the board can grip the road more effectively. Moreover, the 70mm wheels can ride you through racks, pebbles, and debris smoothly.
- 7 inches HD7 heavy-duty aluminum alloy trucks
- Comes with 70mm Q-ball wheels
- Includes 125mm hanger and grade 8 kingpin
- Perfect for beginners
- Best longboard for rough road
- It does not have top-quality bushings.
Longboard Parts and Components Beginners Should Know
Understanding the parts and components of the longboard will help you to choose the right product according to your needs. Let’s know about some of the parts of longboards.
- Deck Material
You must consider the material of the deck before purchasing. Manufacturers usually use one of the two materials for decks. One is the most common material is maple, and other one is bamboo.
Maple boards are hard, whereas boards made of bamboo are light. Another big advantage of bamboo is its flexibility. This flex is very much needed for cruising and carving. Maple is way stiffer than bamboo. As a consequence, a board with maple tends to be greatly stable. If you do not have a budget for bamboo, maple is enough.
- Deck Type
As for the deck types, there are three options to choose from. Check below.
Drop-through: Drop-through decks are the ones where the trucks are mounted on top of the deck.
Drop-down: Drop-down decks are the ones where the deck is very close to the ground.
Top-mount: Top mount deck is the one that is mounted on top of the trucks.
Since we are concentrating on deck type for beginners, our recommendation is the drop-through deck. These boards are very convenient to push using feet, and they have the right amount of stability a newbie requires.
Trucks play a big role in terms of the performance of a longboard. Most boards come with aluminum trucks, so you don’t have to worry about their quality. You can either loosen the truck or tighten it for more or less stability of the board. Usually, they come tightened to give the user a more secure and stable experience. Whenever you need the board to turn with minimum effort, loosening trucks is the solution. A beginner should ride the longboard for a while. If he feels it requires any further adjustment, he can do that.
- Wheel size and Durometer
Wheel size and durometer are more significant factors than you may think. Talking about the size, you can go for large or small wheels. We recommend large wheels for beginners. Their acceleration is not the fastest, which is a good thing for a new rider. Big wheels cover more area on the ground than small ones. Thus, they tend to be adequately stable. Keep in mind that the top speed is way higher for large wheels than small ones. You may not want to reach the highest speed at the initial stage of longboarding.
The durometer indicates the softness of longboard wheels. Experts suggest soft wheels for beginners instead of hard ones. They have a proper grip on them, and the rider has sufficient control over the soft wheels.
- Shape and Width
It is ideal to buy longboards with high width. More width gives you a wider deck that can make the longboard noticeably stable. Talking about shape, there are a few choices such as camber, concave and flat. If you cannot decide what you like the most, take the flat shape with your eyes closed. Beginners are encouraged to use it.
Are Longboards Good for Beginners?
There are two types in the debate as to which board is best for beginners: skateboard and longboard. Our choice would definitely be the longboard out of these two. A longboard is clearly the winner in terms of stability. And stability is the factor you should look for the most on the board. Let’s see some more reasons why the longboard is great for new riders.
- The use of maple in the longboard deck is fairly common. This is a solid material that can survive unexpected falls better than its competitors. A beginner is supposed to fall numerous times. He doesn’t have to worry about his board’s longevity when it is a longboard.
- Longboards are larger than skateboards. Hence, you get more area to maneuver your body and stand properly with full balance. As a result of the large space, the overall board is heavy. The heavyweight prevents you from hitting top speed easily, an important safety feature for a newbie.
- One more advantage of a longboard is the soft wheel. These are well known for their unmatched grip that is super helpful on a harsh surface.
- Last but not least, it is easier to learn longboarding in comparison to skateboarding. You can learn to ride a longboard in only a few days, even if you’ve never ridden one before.
As to the question, are longboards good for beginners, the answer is yes, and as a matter of fact, they are the best.
What Style Longboard is best for Beginners?
If you think all longboards are essentially the same, you are gravely wrong. Every longboard has a type that has its own qualities, features, and drawbacks. As we are solely concentrating on the beginners, drop-through style is best for beginners. Let’s see what other longboard styles are suitable for them.
It is perhaps the finest style of longboards for someone who is new to longboarding. Drop through longboards are great for covering long distances. They are not difficult to push. Thus, beginners can ride them pretty easily. A drop-through board also is known to have a low center of gravity. It makes them noticeably stable.
The beginners who are planning to ride a longboard downhill should buy these products. They have magnificent control and balance while riding in these conditions. Beginners who do not enjoy downhill rides can avoid these rides.
Longboards have so many fancy styles that we forget the most basic one, cruising. It is a simple board that you can use to enjoy the breeze while roaming around the park or your area. Cruisers are also a decent choice for beginners.
Every beginner doesn’t get into the world of longboarding, keeping carving in mind. However, after a while, you may get bored just cruising around. That is the right time to try something new, like carving. It is extremely fun, but you need to practice for a few days to learn it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Should a beginner get a regular skateboard or a longboard first?
Ans: A thorough research is always going to tell you that the longboard is the way to go for beginners. There are many reasons behind that. The most important characteristic of these boards is that they are extremely stable. In addition, these boards are spacious, giving the rider enough space to adjust his body. These features are much needed when we are talking about beginners.
- Which type of longboard is best for beginners?
Ans: Drop-through boards are the best option for beginners. Once again, we have to bring the stability factor to the topic. The placement of components is different in the drop-through board. They are placed in a way that gives more stability to the user. Additionally, a drop-through board won’t pose a problem to someone who is unfamiliar with longboard pushing.
- How Do I Pick the Correct Size Longboard for Beginners?
Ans: Longboard experts recommend that beginners should choose a size between 32 and 44 inches when choosing a longboard. Your height does matter in this case. Hence, you may try all the sizes in this range to find out the ideal one for you.
- Does Snowboarding or Surfing Experience Help Me as a Beginner?
Ans: Yes they do. There is no doubt your prior snowboarding or surfing experience is going to help you as a beginner in longboarding. It is because all these fields are so similar to each other. Both snowboarding and longboarding utilize the feet as pedals, moving the toes up and down to turn. There are numerous similarities like these two, which you will notice as you advance through the initial longboarding stages.
- Do I Need Special Wheels or Trucks on My Beginner Longboard?
Ans: No, not initially. A beginner’s longboard is not super-equipped in terms of components such as trucks and wheels. Having said that, it is a board that is made for beginners keeping their particular needs in mind. So if you are satisfied with the performance, why would you want to add special trucks or wheels to the board? Following some time spent longboarding and familiarizing yourself with the components, you can modify the board.
- Should I Wear Safety Gear as a Beginner?
Ans: Yes, of course. Everyone from beginner to expert rider should wear all the safety gear before riding. Even these gears are more important for beginners since they are prone to accidents and injuries more than other borders. Hence, make sure you got all the safety components beforehand.
- What is longboarding?
Ans: Longboarding is a sport that is also a hobby for many people, similar to skateboarding. Simply put, longboarding is the act of riding a longboard. It is getting more recognized and popular as the days pass.
- What are the best longboards for heavier riders?
Ans: Most longboards these days have 220 pounds weight limit. So you can certainly call these products suitable ones for the heavy riders. But if you want a board with better weight carrying capacity, take a look at the Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard Complete Cruiser. This longboard is capable of carrying up to 250 pounds. You may also check out the Sector 9 Aperture longboard and Atom drop longboard.
- Are skateboards or longboards better for commuting?
Ans: For commuting purposes, a longboard is the better choice. It has big wheels and more space on the deck. You can adjust your body and stand comfortably since the deck is spacious. The soft wheels of the longboard deal with road crack better than skateboards. Some skateboards are infamous for their wheel noise. Overall, our vote goes to longboards for commuting.
- What types of boards are suited to cruising?
Ans: Almost all the basic longboards are suitable for cruising purposes. However, if you want an exclusive product for that, you will find a vast number of options among cruiser boards. Choose one according to your likings.
- What types of boards are suited to dancing?
Ans: Flex is suitable for dancing. This is precisely what a board needs to have in order to excel at dancing. You can find ample flex only on the bamboo decks. Dancing is not possible on the maple deck because of its high stiffness.
- Is it hard to learn to longboard?
Ans: It depends on what type of longboarding you are trying to get into. Given that it is only cruising and relaxing at the park or the beach, no, it is not hard to learn longboarding at all. To progress further, you must keep patience and give yourself enough time to master new maneuvers.
- How long does it take to learn how to ride a longboard?
Ans: It does not take a long time to learn how to ride a longboard. After practicing it for 2 hours a day for 2-3 days, you will learn the very basics. If it is taking longer in your case, that is fine too. The duration varies from a person to another.
- Do Longboards Need Spacers?
Ans: Spacers refer to metal cylinders that you find between bearings. They make the bearings more durable as well as more stable during the turns. A beginner does not need spacers unless his longboarding includes lots of sharp turns.
- Is Longboarding More Dangerous Than Skateboarding?
Ans: Many random pieces of research on the internet say longboarding is riskier than skateboarding. Frankly speaking, it is not. Considering similarities between skateboarding and longboarding, it’s clear that accidents can happen in both cases. Wearing all the necessary safety gear and following the basic rules will ensure your safety.
- Is Longboarding A Sport?
Ans: Yes, longboarding is indeed a sport. There are various longboarding competitions all over the world. These events mostly involve races that are arranged in downhill areas.
- What Essential Gears Do You Need as a Beginner?
Ans: There are number of gears that a long boarder requires. As a beginner, you need them too. The essential gears that should not be avoided are helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, sliding gloves, and hip pad/padded shorts. You can easily find them any store that sells longboarding gears.
A decent longboard can be used for a variety of purposes, including simple cruising and commuting. For instance, it allows you to take part in multiple fun activities including dancing performing tricks. You can learn some of the tricks that are super fun to pull off. Moreover, longboarding has so many health benefits that you will explore once you start. That’s why longboarding is always a wise choice. We hope this list of nine best longboards for beginners will help you to choose the right longboard for your weekend fun activity. We can’t wait to hear from you about your first experience with longboarding!